Yocket Editorial Team
Updated on 28 December, 2018

How to find Part-Time Student Jobs in Canada

As a student in Canada, once you have completed the first six months of your masters, you can get a permit to work part-time, off-campus for up to 20 hours a week. During semester breaks you are allowed to work full-time. However, if you are in an intensive course, the university will recommend you to not work more than 12 hours a week.

How much can one can get paid?

The student work laws are more lenient- you can work both- on campus and off campus. The minimum work wage is CAD $10.25 per hour. After tax, you may earn about CAD $200 per week and CAD $800 per month.

What kind of jobs can you do?

It may not be easy to get hold of your first job. Students use Indeed.com and various other local websites to find jobs but most of the times, it requires in-person visits and taking follow-ups politely. There are various options depending on what suits you and what you get hold of:

  1. At a cafe, restaurant, back office, store, malls, supermarkets, gas stations, etc.
  2. Social Media Jobs: Companies pay students to create and manage their social media profiles. If you know how to have the skills to do digital marketing, you can get paid a lot of money here.
  3. Freelance Jobs: If you have a skill, you can share it on Youtube or make a course online
  4. Tutoring: You need to pre-apply for this. If there is a research opportunity, you can work with a professor as their assistant.

Do I need to register anywhere?

On-Campus: Full-time Canadian university students, do not need a work permit to work on campus.

Off-Campus: For undergraduate students, they can work off-campus if the university agrees to an official co-op program. Otherwise, they cannot work off-campus. For post-graduate students, they need to register for a work permit.

Work Opportunities after Graduation

Students who have studied from eight months to 2 years in Canada, can apply for a post-study work permit for the same validity period. You need to apply within the 90 days of the confirmation of the completion of the academic program. The main advantage of this permit is that it doesn’t require for a specific employer. You can work anywhere without any extra verification.

Login to recommend
0 recommended



Yocket Editorial Team

Yocket is the largest regional online community for students with a desire to pursue higher education abroad.

Published in:
Job Opportunities