Yocket Editorial Team
Updated on 01 January, 2019

Work opportunities in France

International students by default have a right to work when in France, provided that they are enrolled in institutions that participates in the national student health-care plan. The student must also hold a valid residency permit so as to be eligible for part-time work. One definitely has to learn French if one wants to work in any French establishment as these jobs will mostly involve interacting with native French speakers and unlike the course which is taught in English, the people will not respond very amicably to English. It is therefore important to get your spoken French polished.

Working part time with full time course

International students who have received a student visa (student resident permit) for long stay in France are eligible to employ themselves on a part time basis. French law allows foreign students to carry out part time (part time is mandatory) work of 964 hours during the year, the equivalent of 60% of the legal work year. A part time employee is at least eligible for the minimum wage decided by French law, which is commonly called the SMIC (Salaire Minimum Interprofessionnel de Croissance - the minimum wage). It is 9.76 Euros gross per hour as of January 1st, 2018. This wage is gross; you have to deduct mandatory taxes (about 20%) so as to get €7.61/hour. If you work 10 hours per week for the minimum wage, you will earn about 78 Euros net.

University as a place of study and work

French universities may employ international students within the campus. These work contracts for students last at most twelve months, from September 1st to August 31st. The various jobs include: receiving students at the start of the academic year, tutorials, cultural or sport activities, assistance for students with disabilities etc. In order to help students succeed and find work afterwards, student work in a university is adapted to their timetables and classes. For the same reason, students who work in French universities may not work more than 670 hours from September 1st to June 30th, and no more than 300 hours from July 1st to August 31st.

Carrying out a mandatory internship

As part of some degrees, the student must do an internship. French and foreign students are subject to the same rules:

  • the internship must be contractual (signed by the establishment and the structure hosting the student);
  • In the event that the internship lasts more than two months, the student must be paid 577,50 Euros per month (as of 1st January 2018).

Working after you have finished your course

Students who have completed their masters degree may approach the visa office for a 6 months temporary extension beyond the expiration date of the residency permit. It can be done only once per student and is officially referred to as APS (authorisation provisoire de séjour). However even with this extension the applicant can only work for 60% of the official working week as prescribed during the time when the course was active.

jobopportunities   jobs   studyinfrance  

Login to recommend
1 recommended



Yocket Editorial Team

Yocket is the largest regional online community for students with a desire to pursue higher education abroad.

Published in:
Job Opportunities


How Did USC Viterbi School of Engineering Become the Best?
3 days, 5 hours ago

How to Pursue Medicine in US?
4 days, 6 hours ago

GMAT vs CAT - 9 differences between GMAT and CAT
4 days, 7 hours ago


Work opportunities in France
Yocket Editorial Team

Work opportunities for international students in Australia
Yocket Editorial Team

Work Opportunities in the UK
Yocket Editorial Team