Established in the year 1818 as a non sectarian college by Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia, George Ramsay, the Dalhousie University is a public research university. Till 1838 the university did not conduct any formal classes owing to some monetary problems and hence had to be closed down. Eventually, however, in the year 1863 this university came to be reorganized and known as “the Governors of Dalhousie College and University”. It was in the year 1997 that the name was changed to “Dalhousie University”. The Dalhousie University is a member of the U15 group of research-intensive universities in Canada.